December 13, 2005
TDK Starts Shipping “Bare” Type Mass-Production Blu-ray Disc Samples
by Dhiram Shah
TDK has announced that is has commenced shipping mass-production samples of its bare-type (cartridge-less) BD-R (write-once type) and BD-RE (rewritable type) Blu-ray Discs. TDK’s Blu-ray Discs Achieve a High Capacity of 25GB on a Single-Layer and 50GB on a Dual-Layer at 2x Recording Speed. To ensure the new discs will be resistant to scratches and dirt even without external cartridges, they will be coated with TDK’s new DURABIS 2 hard coating. DURABIS 2 technology has been specifically formulated for Blu-ray Discs. TDK has announced four varaints – 25 GB (Single layer, Write once / Rewritable disks) and 50 Gb (Dual layer, Write once / Rewritable disks).
- DURABIS 2 coating provides significantly greater resistance to scratches
and dirt (particularly fingerprint smudges), ensuring safe use
even without a cartridge.
- Unique high-precision spin coating creates a supremely flat cover
layer, resulting in highly stabilised recording and playback.
- The BD-R disc utilises a recording layer of an inorganic material
which is unaffected by exposure to light, thus offering outstanding
- The BD-RE disc utilises a highly sensitive phase-change dye in the
recording layer that realises stabilised characteristics even after
as many as 10,000 rewrites.
- High-precision stacking technology precisely overlays disc layers,
delivering stabilised characteristics on both the upper and lower recording
layers in a single-sided, dual-layer (50GB) disc.