February 8, 2007
Samsung Ultra Smart F700 the iPhone killer
After the F300 and F500 here is an interesting addition to Samsung’s mobile phone line up the Ultra Smart F700 which can be termed as the iPhone killer. First we will have a look at the basic specs and then see how it stacks up with the iPhone. The Ultra Smart F700 (somehow I dont like the naming scheme) is a triband GSM (900/1800/1900) slider phone with a full QWERTY keyboard. It has a 2.78 inch touchscreen display supporting 262k colors and a resolution of 240×440 pixels. The smartphone has a proprietary Samsung OS with a unique drag and drop system for menu navigation and media playback. It supports all the major media formats from MP3 to Real to MPEG4. The F700 has a brilliant 5 Megapixel camera with autofocus and a secondary VGA cam for video conferencing. The 3G phone supports EDGE, GPRS, UMTS and HSDPA with lightning download speeds of 7.2 Mbps. Specs include Bluetooth, Micro SD card for memory expansion, USB and HTML browser. An interesting feature is VibeTonz which enables the handset to produce a huge range of ‘vibro-tactile’ sensations so you can hear the ringtone and hear it as well. It will provide an immersive gaming experience as gamers can experience the recoil of a gunshot or the jolt of a punch. (Comparison with the iPhone and more images after the jump)
So how does the Samsung Ultra Smart F700 stack up against the most awaited phone on the decade. The F700 does have some features which one would crave to be on the iPhone.
1) 5 Megapixel camera is much better than the standard 2 Megapixel camera on the iPhone
2) QWERTY keyboard, though the iPhone has touchscreen a keyboard is the ideal choice for SMS and E-mail junkies.
3) The F700 has UMTS and high speed HSDPA making it an ideal choice fo business users than the non-3G iPhone.
However the iPhone also scores on the F700 on some points
1) The F700 has no onboard Flash memory where as the iPhone has 4 / 8GB.
2) The iPhone has a 3.5 inch screen (F700 has 2.8 inch) boosting your movie watching experience.
3) The F700 lacks fancy features like the Ambient light sensor and Accelerometer.
4) Steve Jobs and the Apple tag, lets admit it nothing can replace them.
Release date and pricing is not known but more information will be available when the Samsung Ultra Smart F700 will be showcased at the 3GSM World Congress next week.