July 22, 2019
Returnable packaging – The future?
The subject of packaging continues to be one of great importance and why there has been much change over recent times in this field. This is now being pushed from the wider general public for change to be made, as we now have much more information when it comes to the damage that plastic can cause. This has led to companies such as PPS, offering an alternative option for businesses in their logistic process. There will always need to be packaging but it is important to reduce the use of non-biodegradable plastic packaging, as this is the one that is causing the most damage to the environment.
This is why returnable transit packaging has been created. This covers primary packaging, secondary packaging and tertiary packaging.
– Primary packaging – is the initial material that first envelops the product and holds it together.
– Secondary packaging – is the part that is outside the primary packaging. This is usually used to group the primary packaging together, such as tote boxes.
– Tertiary packaging – is used for bulk handling and warehouse storage. This also covers transport shipping and covers the likes of pallet boxes and roll cages.
Returnable packaging is also known as reusable packaging. It is the material used to store or transport the goods such as pallet boxes, plastic crates or simply boxes. The process works by the packaging being delivered to the customer along with the goods. The packaging is then returned to the vendor afterward for reuse. This is completely taking out the waste in the process. This therefore has a large number of benefits such as:
– This is an environmentally friendly packaging solution due to the vast waste and carbon reduction involved. Returnable packaging is reused numerous times in a closed-loop logistics chain. This is why it has continued to grow in popularity amongst many businesses in recent times.
– This process also has significant cost savings over the traditional approach of single trip packaging. This is due to the fact that the price per use is less than purchasing new packaging each time.
– Returnable packaging also provides increased protection during storage and shipment. These are stronger and also have a better resistance to water and chemicals.
– It also has environmental benefits. This is why the returnable options continue to grow in popularity. This is in comparison to the previous one use packaging, that is very bad for the environment. The returnable packaging has a long life due to the fact each material can be recycled.